Are you considering getting KDF water filters, and wondering —Is KDF safe? Will it deliver optimum performance and eradicate major contaminants such as heavy metals, harmful chemicals and pathogens as claimed?
KDF is a type of filtering technology that is used to supply clean, safe water to people. This filtration media is also effective in eliminating heavy metals from liquid, making it a safe option for families.
In addition to its filtering capabilities, KDF limits the growth of bacteria and algae. In this article, we will talk about the safety of KDF filter and how it works.
How does the KDF filter work?
KDF filters remove impurities from water by using a process of adsorption and oxidation. The high-purity copper-zinc alloy creates an electric field when in contact with liquid. This field attracts and traps impurities, preventing them from passing through the filter.
Most household filters use KDF 55 or KDF 85 media, which are two of the most common kinds. The 55 and 85 media models perform different functions, so most filters include separate layers of each. The copper-zinc alloy filter is EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency)-approved.
What is KDF filter material?
Kinetic Degradation Fluxion or KDF filtration media are granules of copper-zinc alloy produced at a high purity level to ensure maximum purification.
The purifier material is effective at sieving out pollutants from liquid, including chlorine, lead, and bacteria. This grain is also an ideal choice for removing odors and taste, as well as preventing bacteria growth in the water system.
Harmful substances in water the KDF purifier protects you from
There are many harmful substances that can be found in water, and the copper-zinc alloy granules protect you from them. The granules remove chlorine, lead, mercury, and other contaminants from your water, making it safe to drink.
Here are a few reasons why KDF filter is safe
- Chlorine is a chemical that is added to water to kill bacteria. However, chlorine can also be harmful to your health. The 55-model removes chlorine from your liquid, thereby making it safe to drink.
KDP is also perfect for removing chlorine’s unpleasant smell and taste and is suitable for shower filtration systems – achieving a 99% removal rate.
- Lead is a metal that can be found in water. Lead can be harmful to your health, especially if you drink liquid that contains high levels of lead. The grains take out lead from your liquid, making it safe to drink.
- Moreover, KDF 85 reduces the levels of iron in liquid to safe levels (up to 90%), regardless of whether the source of the iron is natural or manmade.
- In addition, when applied to water, the granules create an electrochemical reaction that destroys bacteria, fungi, and algae, keeping the filter clean even when wet.
- The media purifier is also an effective way to eliminate mercury, chromium, nickel, and other harmful substances that can be found in water. This copper-zinc alloy is placed in a filter, and as the liquid passes through the media, mercury and other contaminants are removed. This makes the water safer to drink and helps to protect your health.
So, is KDF water filter safe? As you can see, there are many different types of KDF cartridges on the market. While there may be some debate about which type is the safest, it is clear that they all provide effective filtration and can be used safely in your home.
So, whether you choose a 55, 85, or 95 cartridges, you can be confident of the KDF water filter cartridge safety and the clean, safe water it creates.