Murphy beds save space in small bedrooms or apartments, giving more room for you to move around. These wall beds are hidden on the wall when not in use to maximize the living space you have. Just like other pieces of furniture, your Murphy bed needs proper care to make it last long.
Keeping your Murphy bed clean needs consistent effort. Here are some maintenance tips that will make your bed functional for a long time:
Dust can accumulate on your bed as time goes by. Vacuum every corner of your Murphy bed to get rid of mites, dirt, pet hair, and dust. This will keep your wall bed fresh and nice to sleep on.
Spills and stains become harder to remove the longer they stay on your Murphy beds. Blot the stain using a clean cloth. Don’t rub the stain to avoid spreading it on the mattress.
Use an upholstery cleaner to clean the stain if you have one. In the absence of this, you can use a mild detergent to clean the stain.
A Murphy bed mattress often comes with a cover when you buy one. This helps protect your bed from stains and spills that might ruin the bed’s look. Make sure to wash the cover regularly to keep it tidy and fresh.
You can also buy a mattress protector made for a Murphy bed for added protection.
Once in a while, put your bed outside of your room and into the open air for a few hours. Letting the bed out removes trapped odor, moisture, and musty smell. It gives freshness to your comfortable bed that feels good when you use it again.
Keep your Murphy bed away from direct sunlight. Prolonged exposure to it damages and fades the finish on the bed. So if you’re putting the bed adjacent to the window, install curtains and blinds to block sunlight.
Aside from sunlight, keep your bed out of moisture. It’s a breeding ground for molds, mildew, and warping. Use a dehumidifier to ward off moisture, especially during the hot season.
Keeping the bed in one position invites sagging in one particular area. For even wear and tear, rotate the Murphy bed every three to six months. This ensures that all corners of the bed are used from time to time. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions in rotating the bed to keep yourself safe.
Remove dirt from your Murphy bed with a soft cloth or a microfiber cloth. Wipe the accessories of the bed, such as the bolts and hinges. Regular cleaning prevents dust and dirt from ruining the bed’s quality and functionality.
The mechanical parts of a Murphy bed include the sliders, springs, and bolts, to name a few. Aside from the bed, these components have to be taken care of.
To take care of the bed’s mechanical parts, you should:
- Inspect for any damage, especially on the wall mount and the bed frame. Cracks, loose parts, and warping can form over time. Address any kind of damage promptly if you notice anything. You might replace the bed frame or the wall mount if it has severe damage.
- Tighten all the screws and bolts. A single loose screw can affect the bed’s stability. Inspect any loose parts in your bed’s mechanism. Use the right tools to tighten the screws and bolts. Be careful—don’t overtighten your bolts and screws to avoid the risk of stripping them from the bed.
- Check the proper alignment of components. Improper alignment of your bed’s components makes it difficult to open and close the bed frame. When aligning these components, use the correct tools or seek professional assistance.
- Replace any lost part. Some parts or components of the bed get lost along the way. Replace the lost part right away to avoid compromising your wall bed’s safety and functionality.
- Lubricate the moving parts. Apply a silicone-based or graphite lubricant on the sliders and hinges of your bed to operate it smoothly. Regular application keeps your bed easy to open and close.
Murphy beds are the perfect go-to if you’re looking for something comfortable and space-saving bed to sleep on. These beds have premium quality, and you want the best one for your house.
Always remember to buy high-quality Murphy beds like those from Lori Beds. The best thing about these wall beds is their easy assembly process. Get space-saving beds without a lifting mechanism – that means no springs and other complex mechanical components. It only needs the strength of you and your partner.
Practicing proper maintenance of your Murphy bed ensures that it remains functional for a long time. Cleaning the beds and addressing any damage keeps you safe from any injury. Moreover, maintaining your bed properly ensures a comfortable sleep every night.