The Australian summer will soon be upon us again and every homeowner is thinking about their outdoor living space and if you are leaning towards a complete garden revamp, here are a few tips to help you create the perfect relaxation area for you and your family.
- Design Layout – Take a leaf from the landscape gardener’s book and create a floorplan that is to scale. Add items as you go until you have a firm plan, then list the materials, fixtures and fittings and search online.
- Timber Decking – Locally harvested Jarrah is the ideal timber for terrace decking, or you might prefer seasoned hardwood, which looks stunning and lasts a lifetime with some preservation. Make sure the slat widths are in proportion with the size of the deck and colour staining can help to blend with the property.
- Outdoor Cooking Area – Rather than focus on the kitchen and ferrying food out to the deck, order one of the premier BBQ rangehoods and a few stainless-steel cabinets, with a double sink unit and crockery storage. This is by far the best way to cater for guests and the online supplier has the best deals.
- Shading – Invest in a retractable roof, which is considered a permanent structure and therefore boosts the value of the property. Hi-tech features include sun, rain and wind sensors and you can operate the roof via a mobile app (that will impress your buddies).
- Water Feature – It is amazing how running water creates a peaceful and tranquil atmosphere; a water fountain in front of the terrace works, while so does calling in a local landscaper and have him create a pond with a stream and tiny waterfall. Exterior water walls are great and with multi-coloured LED lights as a backdrop, you can create a Disney-like ambience.
- Hanging Chairs & Hammock – The ultimate for relaxation hanging egg chairs take up no floorspace and they are very comfortable; the hammock can be strung on the opposite side of the BBQ area and you have the perfect relaxation area.
- Natural Greenery – Integrate indoor plants for essential greenery; check out your local nursery on a Sunday morning for a great selection of flora and fauna and you will find attractive plants to adorn the terrace.
While this is a considerable investment, you and your family will reap the many benefits and everything you need can be sourced from online suppliers.