A growing trend with homeowners that have a backyard space is the outdoor fireplace. These are are not only a provider of warmth, but are usable year-round, which adds more value. You can congregate with friends and family during the summer months to make hotdogs and hamburgers (or even pizzas depending not he type of fireplace you have). In the winter, you all can still sit near the fire to enjoy being outdoors without feeling cold… and possibly even make some s’mores for all to eat! Although there are limited uses for fireplaces, there is an unlimited amount of styles! Here are some of the top outdoor fireplace designs to give you some inspiration for your own backyard!
One design that I’ve seen more of is the fireplace put in the corner of the backyard. It allows for play space for the children and pets so that they don’t have to worry about running into the fireplace if it was in the middle of the yard. This outdoor fireplace design offers a more concealed flame, which is also great for families, as a child will not have a direct, open flame in front of them. Of course, you’ll still need to supervise.
As mentioned above, you can also place your outdoor fireplace in an open space. This doesn’t necessarily equate to the middle of the yard, just a space that will have room for your fire and some seating. An outdoor fireplace design like this can be ideal for those with a large backyard and want to create an area that draws attention and brings congregation area together.
For those that want to have a designated area that has a fire, but also an eating area or space for relaxation, then a roofed area with an outdoor fireplace is an excellent option. It provides some shade, extends the living space from your home (especially if it is directly from the backyard entrance), and gives you a place that can be made into what you need most.
Of course, there is the typical open fire pit. Like the second option, it can be placed anywhere and in an open space.
- Why are outdoor fireplaces becoming popular?
- Outdoor fireplaces are gaining popularity due to their multifunctional use. They provide warmth, enhance the aesthetic appeal of the backyard, and serve as a gathering spot for friends and family.
- Can I cook on an outdoor fireplace?
- Yes, depending on the design and type of fireplace, you can use it to cook various foods, from hotdogs and hamburgers to pizzas.
- Is it safe to have an outdoor fireplace with children and pets around?
- While outdoor fireplaces are designed with safety in mind, it’s essential to supervise children and pets when the fireplace is in use. Some designs, like the corner fireplace, offer a more concealed flame for added safety.
- Do outdoor fireplaces require a lot of maintenance?
- Maintenance depends on the type and material of the fireplace. Regular cleaning and inspection will ensure its longevity and safe operation.
- Can I customize my outdoor fireplace design?
- Absolutely! There are numerous designs available, and many companies offer customization options to fit your backyard’s aesthetics and functionality needs.
- Do I need a permit to install an outdoor fireplace?
- Permit requirements vary by location. It’s essential to check with local regulations and authorities before installing an outdoor fireplace.
- How do I choose the right location for my outdoor fireplace?
- Consider factors like safety, wind direction, proximity to the house, and the purpose of the fireplace (cooking, relaxation, etc.) when choosing a location. Consulting with a professional can also provide valuable insights.