3 Reasons You May Have Mold Growing in Your Home

A person wearing a yellow rubber glove cleaning a moldy countertop.

Mold is an unwelcome guest in many homes and can be challenging to evict. The spores of mold float through the air until they find the perfect environment to settle and grow. These spores need food and water, just like us. However, you can avoid mold if you eliminate the moisture and humidity in your home.

There are countless types of mold. Some release toxins that make you sick, while others don’t affect you at all. Each person is affected differently, with cases ranging from trivial to severe. Other than health issues, some signs of mold are musty smells, discoloration on walls, and water stains on ceilings.

Mold can be persistent, but you may be able to clean it with a bleach solution, depending on the severity. Successfully combating mold growth heavily depends on knowing how it got there. The source can be obvious, but you’re often left scratching your head. Here are a few reasons you may find mold in your home.

Too Much Humidity

It’s harder to breathe in air that’s warm and humid. Your clothes cling to your body, and your hair sticks to your forehead. It’s very uncomfortable. But for mold, humidity is a place to thrive. Temperature control is essential in the home. If it’s too hot or cold, moisture or condensation is created, which results in a mold problem.

It’s good practice to look for ventilation problems around the house. Have your air filters changed and vents inspected. Be proactive about keeping the indoor air as clean as possible with the help of an air purifier. Keep in mind that mold is a type of fungus. Most fungi thrive in temperatures of 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Related:
Selling? Try These Easy Tricks To Stage Your Home

The temperature alone is not conducive to mold growth, but the atmosphere is just right with humidity. An easy way to prevent mold growth is to eliminate moisture in the air with a dehumidifier. If you don’t have central air in your home, make sure your air conditioning unit is the appropriate size and installed correctly.

Another way to get rid of humidity is to use your exhaust fans regularly. It can seem like these fans don’t do much, but they make a big difference when taking that steamy shower or boiling food on the stove. 

Hidden Water Leaks

Water leaks can surprise you. Before you find the leak itself, you will often see signs of a leak, like bubbling paint or puddles. They can originate from clogged drains that burst under pressure, old or faulty pipes, and water heaters. Leaks like this lead to mold if you don’t know the source and the water is not dried immediately. Remember, the key to avoiding mold from a leak is to stop the leak and dry the area thoroughly. You generally have 24 to 48 hours to dry the area and prevent mold growth.

You’ll need a damage restoration service if the water leak is severe and causes flooding. If you start to see or smell mold, you should double-check that the area is clean and completely dry, so the unwelcome guest doesn’t return. It’s also a good idea to make a routine of inspecting your home. Check problem areas for leaks, water stains, or bad smells. If you can spot small leaks early, you can avoid a bigger mess down the road. 

Related:
Port Moody Realtors a Haven to Home Buyers

Wet Surfaces Around the Home

The bathroom can be the most challenging room in the house to prevent mold because it’s prone to a surplus of moisture and leaks. Check for leaks under the sink and around the bathtub to stay ahead. You should also make a habit of wiping down your shower walls, tub, mirrors, and sinks immediately after use.

Always use your exhaust fan or open a window while taking a hot shower or bath. Avoid leaving water on surfaces for an extended period. And make sure the room is well-ventilated when mopping and cleaning so surfaces dry faster.

Final Thoughts

Mold is unpleasant inside the home; in some cases, it can cause respiratory issues and other health conditions. Some signs of mold include foul odors, discoloration, and water spots. When you suspect mold, the first thing to do is to look for a water leak.

Aside from a leak, you may have too much humidity in your home. Keep moisture out with the help of a dehumidifier and keep hard surfaces dry and wiped clean. Remember that moisture is mold’s best friend, so do everything you can to keep your home free of excess water and humidity.

Scroll to Top