A pond and water garden in your backyard is an epitome of natural magnificence.
It can also multitask as the perfect spot for when you need pin-drop silence from human-made noises- and yearn for natural sounds like the rippling of water and chirping of birds.
Not many of us have the privilege of a natural water source near our apartments. But you can always install one that satisfies your needs, space, and craving for the aqua life.
All you need to do is think outside the box, use what you have, and follow your heart.
5 Key Tips to an Outdoor Water Garden
Any pond looks “good” on a lawn, but you want more than good looks for your dream home. So you want to build a well-thought-out backyard pond and garden with the following in mind.
- Blend with landscaping: A pond or fountain can be meaningless in a cluttered backyard. Creative outdoor landscaping can make your water-source stand out.
- Make it more functional: Add furniture to your pond side to create a comfortable space where you can enjoy the beauty of your water-source and bond with your fishes.
- Keep it fresh and plenty: Plan on how to keep your pond clean and full of water (all the time) to maintain a healthy ecosystem for your aquatic life.
- Separate or blend your garden and pond: You can either add water plants to your pond or build a freestanding accessorized pond in your lawn.
- Use what you have: Build according to your space, design, preferences and of course, your budget
And lastly, build a solar-powered watering mechanism to maintain freshwater and run an eco-friendly (and nature-driven) outdoor pond.
7 Creative Water Garden Ideas
The following water garden ideas will inspire you to create your own. Choose wisely, and feel free to mix one idea with another.
1. Arrange tall and short water plants all over a pond.
Plants that do well in water are an intelligent choice because you don’t have to worry about maintenance.
So if all you want is water and elements of green, then secluding a pond area with stones are adding water plants is the right way to go.
Choose different plant sizes, from those that submerge to those that stand above water to create a beautiful space. If you like, add a centrally-placed accessory, like a statue or fountain, to break the monotony.
2. Incorporate furniture to add function.
A sitting area beside your pond is almost a must-do if you cherish the luxury of owning a pond.
Your water garden is more than a beautiful natural scenery. Add comfortable seating and a table to transform your water garden into a cozy area where you can relax and have fun with friends and family.
3. Fully furnished water garden room, with furniture and a fireplace
An outdoor room (that gives a clear view of the pond and garden) is the right choice if you have ample space to tidy up with landscaping and decoration.
Add seating and tables to make it a private area where you can host visitors and a fireplace to warm up your water garden even during cold seasons.
4. Flower pond and garden along the wall.
Building a flower pond along your wall is another standard that won’t disappoint you. This design can help create a sense of continuity if incorporated into a glasshouse.
If you like, add greens around the water-source, hang them on your walls or add water plants.
5. Tap into the architecture paradigm
Add elements of architecture into you’re your pool design. This can blend well with existing shapes and designs, especially if geometric patterns dominate your apartment.
6. The Stepped up water garden
Building a water garden that flows from top to bottom is another way to add flora and aqua to your home design.
A stepped-up pond garden allows water to flow naturally from one segment to another, producing the rippling sound of water and a fountain-like scenery.
Hanging flowers and greens blend well and stand conspicuously in a stepped-up area, turning your outdoor into an attractive nature-inspired setting.
7. A Hanging Flower Pond
Looking to diverge from the usual water garden ideas? Well, why not extend a creative hanging pond from your wall. You can also add a fountain or Buddha at the center to make it more noticeable.