Many times the hallway of the home is ignored when decorating. Think of the hallway as the connector to every room in your home. It is the place to transition your decorating scheme. A hallway can be the optimum space to display artwork, family photos or other collections for the wall especially if you don’t have the space in other areas of the home. Here are 8 ways to enhance your hallway.
1. Mirrors. If your hallway space is long and narrow, a display of mirrors opens and brightens the space. Display an assortment of mirrors in different shapes and sizes along the length of the hallway on one or both sides.
2. Decorative sconces. Decorative sconces illuminate a hallway. Maintain the same style of lighting in the hallway as in other areas of the home for consistency.
3. Family photos. If you have a box of family photos with no other space for them, frame and display them in the hallway. Start a chronological history and let the walls tell the family story.
4. Art display. If you have a collection of art, consider your hallway a gallery. Lay the pieces out on the floor first to get an idea of placement. To further enhance the display, install downlights above selected pieces.
5. Rugs. If your hallway is a long and cavernous space, soften and brighten it up with colorful runners. To avoid slippage, place rug pads underneath.
6. Statement piece. A large painting or an interesting tablescape at the end of the hallway gives a long hallway a focal point.
7. Shelves. Have shelves inset into the walls or install your own if space allows. For narrow hallways, consider ledges with narrow depths. Take advantage of this space for additional storage of books or other items.
8. Table. If you have the space, put a table with an attractive display in the hallway. These work best for open upstairs hallways. Accent the table with lamps for added illumination.
The hallway of your home doesn’t have to be empty and bland. It is part of your home, connecting rooms and transitioning the space. Let these ideas inspire you to create a gallery wall or additional storage. Soften and illuminate the hallway with rugs and sconce lighting. Display a favored collection on a table or at the end of the hall as a focal point. Take a look down your hallway and decide how you would like to enhance it.